2017 4-H Shooting Sports Wrap-Up
The 2017 4-H shooting sports season ended on September 9, 2017, at the conclusion of the 2017 Fall Shoot. We would like to start by thanking the many volunteers who helped to make this a successful season for the 4-H Youth that participated in the Shooting Sports program. The volunteers donated countless hours to teach safety, coach youth, fill out paperwork, set up ranges, take down ranges, clean up buildings and lead their county programs. The shooting sports volunteers are the backbone of the program.
By the Numbers
This season has seen two state competitions and seven teams participate at nationals. Below are some of the numbers for the season.
- 4387 youth are enrolled in the Shooting Sports Project (47% of those enrolled in SD 4-H are in the SS project area)
- Spring Shoot (Rifle, Pistol and Archery): 2,652 Entries
- Spring Shoot: 1632 Youth representing 55 Counties
- Fall Shoot (Shotgun and Muzzleloading): 408 entries
- Fall Shoot: 209 Youth representing 22 Counties
- 27 Youth and 7 coaches participating at Nationals June 26-30th in Grand Island, NE
The State training team expanded as five people attended Level 2 training for the SD 4-H Shooting Sports program. These volunteers went through a week of training in Raton, N.M., have come back, and used the information to train new coaches. One of the areas that saw additional growth due to the training was muzzleloading. The state competition for muzzleloading grew from six participants in 2016 to sixteen participants this year.
Use the links below to download results from this year's competitions.
- Match 3: Archery | Guns | Teams
- Spring State Shoot: Archery | Guns | Teams
- Match 2: Archery | Guns | Teams
- Match 1: Archery | Guns | Teams
State Match Records
State records are recorded each year at the annual South Dakota 4-H Shooting Sports State Shoot. Visit State 4-H Shooting Sports: State Match Records to view the most-recent list of state record holders.
The following individuals represented South Dakota at the 2017 4-H National Shooting Sports Championships. We would like to thank Trip coordinator Dawn Foiles, for her time and effort to coordinate this opportunity. Click on the images below to view a high-resolution photo of each team.
Photos courtesy of Dawn Foiles.