Citizenship Washington Focus (CWF) is a week-long 4-H citizenship program for 4-H’ers, thousands of which come to the National 4-H Youth Conference Center in Chevy Chase, MD, each summer, to learn about the democratic process, their role as citizens, and experience our nation’s capital. The 2017 South Dakota Delegation will travel to CWF June 17 – 25, 2017.
Who can participate?
4-H’ers ages 15-18, as of January 1 of the trip year are eligible to attend CWF. Contact the 4-H Youth Advisor for your County to determine other county-specific steps to apply for CWF. Counties give their selected CWF youth delegates initial instructions and forms in November to send to the State 4-H Office on/before January 16.
What does CWF cost?
The cost for the 2017 CWF is $1,600 per youth delegate (transportation, lodging, and most meals). Some Leader Associations provide scholarships. Youth delegates should plan to bring approximately $300 in spending money.
Typical CWF Itinerary
- Saturday: Leave South Dakota via coach bus
- Sunday: Arrive at National 4-H Center
- Monday: Tour Washington D.C. sights
- Tuesday: Workshops & meetings
- Wednesday: Capitol Hill Day
- Thursday: Workshops, sightseeing & Cultural Heritage Evening
- Friday: Delegation Day on the National Mall & Talent Show
- Saturday: Leave Maryland via coach bus
- Sunday: Arrive South Dakota
County Selection Process
CWF youth delegates are selected at a County level based on local policies and procedures. Delegates must be able to perform the following essential functions of the trip with or without reasonable accommodations:
- Age-appropriate social & intellectual skills to actively participate in all activities
- Physical stamina to walk long distance & endurance for participating in a 16-hour day
The State 4-H Office and the National 4-H Council coordinate registration, transportation, lodging, some meals, activities and events for the South Dakota delegation.
South Dakota 4-H’ers wishing to participate in CWF need to contact their 4-H Youth Advisor to find out if their County has CWF delegate reservations. If yes, then youth and their families need to complete the application steps the County and State 4-H Office require.
Non-Refundable Payment Schedule
The first payment of $400 is due to the State 4-H Office on December 1 with the County’s completed reservation form. CWF delegates’ completed forms and the second payment of $600 is due January 16. In March, the State 4-H Office sends the first email to CWF delegates and participating Counties with initial trip documents:
- Cover letter of instructions
- Chaperone Responsibilities
- Committee Sign Up Form
- Tentative Itinerary
- Events Listing
- Dress Code
The final $600 payment is due to the State 4-H Office on May 1. The State 4-H Office sends the last email message to CWF delegates and participating Counties with final trip documents on/before June 1.
Adults, age 21 or older, who have a strong interest in youth development, are experienced at chaperoning youth, and are a:
- SDSU 4-H Youth Program Advisor; or
- SDSU Field Specialist; or
- Registered South Dakota 4-H Volunteer without restrictions.
- Representing SDSU Extension 4-H Youth Development per the South Dakota Code of Conduct; serves as a role model; provides a safe and caring environment for all youth delegates
- Boarding the bus in Rapid City or at any of the assigned pick up locations or driving youth in a state vehicle to pick up/drop off locations between Sisseton and Sioux Falls
- Ability to chaperone all youth delegates within the framework of the trip’s itinerary
- Willingness to listen to ideas from all youth and provide appropriate feedback
- Enforcement of rules and expectations for all youth to ensure appropriate behavior per the South Dakota 4-H Code of Conduct, the specific trip’s Code of Conduct and the South Dakota 4-H Dress Code
- Participate fully in the trip activities, providing supervision and guidance to all youth delegates from the trip’s start to its’ finish
If you meet the Qualifications and can assume all of Responsibilities listed above during 2017 CWF, please fill out the 2017 CWF Chaperone Application form. The form is due to the State 4-H Office, on or before Thursday, December 1, 2016.
Image courtesy of 4-H.org