What to do when faced with crop damage? Back »

Written collaboratively by Gared Shaffer and Amanda Bachmann.

SDSU Extension has received a flood of calls from producers and agronomists observing possible crop damage. In any case of crop damage, it is important to remember the following tips.

1. Don’t jump to conclusions.

Make sure not to take action with inconclusive facts.

2. Sample and test affected plant tissues.

Sample tissues from affected plants and send them to a lab for herbicide residual testing. The only local option is to send the tissue samples to South Dakota Agricultural Laboratories, with other options available at out-of-state labs. See the list below for more information.

South Dakota Agricultural Laboratories
1006 32nd Ave., STE 105
Brookings, SD 57006
Phone: 605.692.7325

Email Website
Columbia Food Laboratories, Inc.
12423 NE Whitaker Way
Portland, OR 97230
Phone: 503.254.1794

Email Website
APT Labs Inc.
1050 Spring St.
Wyomissing, PA 19610
Phone: 610.375.3888

Email Website
Environmental Micro Analysis Inc
460 N. East St.
Woodland, CA 95776
Phone: 530.666.6890
Email Website

Inclusion of a lab on this list does not imply endorsement of their services.

3. Submit a crop damage complaint.

To submit a crop damage compliant, contact the South Dakota Department of Agriculture, Division of Agricultural Services 605.773.4432. There is an online Pesticide Incident Complaint/Damage Form.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Sign Up For Email!