Join SDSU Extension AmeriCorps VISTA program to make a difference in communities across South Dakota.
AmeriCorps VISTA service members will work with SDSU Extension staff to increase knowledge of and access to physical and financial health and wellness techniques in effort to bring economically disadvantaged South Dakotans out of poverty.
AmeriCorps VISTA national service members will serve a one-year term of service summer 2018 – summer 2019 and receive:
- End of Service Award - Choose between a Segal Education Award ($5,815) to pay for a range of education expenses or a cash stipend ($1,500).
- Living Allowance - Receive a modest bi-weekly living allowance to cover basic expenses.
- Healthcare Beneﬁt - Choose between reimbursement for healthcare or a healthcare plan. Dental and vision are also included.
- Gain valuable work experience and community connections
- Impress future employers with a “national service” designation on your resume
- Professional Development Training - Attend in-person and virtual professional development opportunities throughout the year.
- Relocation Allowance - If you move 50+ miles from your home to a new community, you receive relocation travel assistance and a settling-in allowance.
- Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) - NCE is a unique hiring path which makes it easier for federal agencies to hire you.
- Child Care - You may be eligible to receive a child care benefit if you have children under the age of 13.
A variety of positions are available to meet a diversity of professional interests and skills!
Select the position below that most interests you to be directed to a position description and application link. (Please note the application process is managed by the Corporation for National and Community Service so you will be routed to a separate web page.)
- Health Outreach VISTA Member - Join an exciting effort modeled after Stanford University’s chronic disease self-management program, supported by premiere healthcare partners. Plan events, market the program, engage partners and more!
- Healthy Schools Advisor VISTA Member - Join a team dedicated to strengthening nutrition education programs and fostering healthy school environments. Member will build support for school breakfast and farm-to-school programs.
- Ag & Society 4-H VISTA Member - Do you desire to help shape cutting-edge, team-based programming that serves those in need? Co-lead advancement of the Science of Ag Program and Life Skills Workforce Food Access Program!
- SDSU Grant Program VISTA Member - Never a dull moment in the College of Ag/Bio Grant Program Office! You’ll build capacity for research, learn grant writing & have ready access to The BEST Ice Cream – SDSU created Cookies & Cream.
Positions are currently open in Aberdeen, Lemmon, Mitchell, Sioux Falls, Watertown, Pierre and other South Dakota communities.
Who can Apply?
- AmeriCorps VISTA members must be 18 and over.
- AmeriCorps VISTA service is open to U.S. Citizens, U.S. Nationals, Lawful Permanent Residents and persons legally residing in a state that have one of the following legal residency classiﬁcations: refugee, asylum or asylee, or temporary protected status.
Questions can be directed to Aimee House Ladonski, SDSU Extension Volunteer Development Field Specialist at 605.782.3290; email@example.com