Above: Maga Farmers Market, Sisseton. Photo Credit: Sandi Jaspers.
Written by Sierra Blachford under the direction and review of Chris Zdorovtsov (former SDSU Extension Community Vitality Field Specialist).
- Using Certified Scales: Local food producers may decide to sell their produce by weight. If they do sell by weight, a certified scale is required. This article provides information about obtaining a certified scale.
- Permits & Licenses for a Farmers Market: This article provides a basic introduction to permits and licenses that might be needed for a farmers market, roadside stand, or other local venue.
- Organic Certification: This article provides an overview of the National Organic Program, provides educational resources, and a list of South Dakota Organic Certification Specialists.
- Pesticide Education: Private and Commercial pesticide Application Licenses: This article provides information on the certification and training needed for private and commercial pesticide applicator licenses.
- Water Permits for Local Food Producers: This article provides an introduction to water permits and water source considerations for local food producers.