Above: Students exploring in a Sioux Falls school garden.
Written by Chris Zdorovtsov (former SDSU Extension Community Development Field Specialist).
SDSU Extension provides regular updates for garden educators though their Garden-Based Education Newsletter. This newsletter features lesson ideas linked to core subject areas, garden stories featuring projects across the state of South Dakota, horticultural information, links to educational videos, links to current grant opportunities, and a Pick it! Try It! Like It! feature- a produce item from the garden with recipe, preparation video and supporting lesson plans.
- Jan-Feb 2015
- Includes the Lost Ladybug Project curriculum, the Wessington Springs Garden Group feature, testing seed viability, grape production resources, grant opportunities, and Pick it! Try It! Like It! Cherry feature.
- Includes math in the garden curriculum ideas, the South Dakota Discovery Center (Pierre) garden feature, planting and preserving herbs, purple prairie clover plant feature (One of many native plant features available on iGrow), and Pick it! Try It! Like It! Plums feature.
- Includes language arts in the garden curriculum ideas, the Baltic School Community Garden feature, gardening modifications for people with limitations, planting onions, and Pick it! Try It! Like It! Beans feature.
- Includes books for the garden, the Boys and Girls Club of the Capital Area (Pierre) feature, 2014: Year of the Cucumber article, horticultural hotline information (for your garden questions), and Pick it! Try It! Like It! Beet feature.
- Includes nutrition in the garden curriculum ideas, the Milbank OST garden feature, saving garden seeds, and Pick it! Try It! Like It! Potato feature.
- Includes science in the garden (Part 2), the General Beadle School Garden (Rapid City) feature, youth development in the garden, harvesting fall vegetables, and Pick it! Try It! Like It! Squash feature.
- Includes science in the garden (Part 1), the Rapid City Garden Club’s Education Garden feature, raised beds, weed control, and Pick it! Try It! Like It! Lettuce feature.
- Includes social studies for the garden, the Wall Kids Garden feature, fall gardening, blossom end rot on tomatoes, and Pick it! Try It! Like It! Watermelon feature.