SDSU Extension will host a Better Choices, Better Health® 1-day diabetes self-management program (DSMP) lay leader cross-training on Jan. 15, 2019 at 8:30 AM CDT the SDSU Extension Sioux Falls Regional Center (2001 E. 8th St., Sioux Falls, SD 57103).
Pre-qualification: you must be an active, certified BCBH SD Lay Leader, or are attending a new 4-day Lay Leader Training prior to the Diabetes Self-Management cross-training.
Here’s what’s involved in training:
- To become cross-trained in the Diabetes Self-Management program, you will attend a 1-day training session and agree to a minimum two-year commitment.
- You’ll receive a leader’s manual - cross-trained program of diabetes self-management
- All materials, handouts, supplies, and lunch/refreshments for the training will be provided.
- You’ll learn how to implement and administrate the program and complete a set of practice teaching assignments.
- Lay Leaders often register in pairs, since all workshops are co-facilitated by 2 leaders. It is best to have 2–3 trainees for a smaller community or town.
- Lay Leaders must co-lead a workshop within 6 months of completing leader training and commit to facilitate a minimum of one full workshop each year in every program they are certified in.
- You must attend refresher sessions periodically to maintain certification.
Register online using the form below by January 15, 2019. For more information, contact Lori Oster, SDSU Extension Better Choices, Better Health SD program coordinator