SDSU Extension Team Nutrition will offer eight Healthy School Meals workshops at the SDSU Extension Regional Centers in June, 2016. This educational opportunity is designed for food service professionals and other professionals, such as Registered Dietitians who want to work with school lunchroom staff. Participants will gain an enhanced understanding of the child nutrition regulations. Interactive lessons will include menu planning, identifying ways to lower salt by using spices and herbs, following guidance materials developed by USDA and other approved resources, and creating smarter lunchrooms with quick and easy ways to increase participation and reduce food waste. The Day 1 Workshop will be held from 9:30am to 4:30pm, and the Day 2 Workshop will be held from 8:30am to 3:30pm at the following locations:
- May 31-June 1: SDSU Extension Aberdeen Regional Center (13 Second Ave. SE, Aberdeen, SD 57401)
- June 2-3: SDSU Extension Watertown Regional Center (1910 W. Kemp Ave., Watertown, SD 57201)
- June 6-7: West River Ag Center (1905 Plaza Blvd., Rapid City, SD 57702)
- June 8-9: SDSU Extension Lemmon Regional Center (408 Eighth St. W., Lemmon, SD 57638)
- June 13-14: SDSU Extension Winner Regional Center (325 S. Monroe St., Winner, SD 57580)
- June 15-16: SDSU Extension Pierre Regional Center (412 W. Missouri Ave., Pierre, SD 57501)
- June 20-21: SDSU Extension Sioux Falls Regional Center (2001 E. Eighth St., Sioux Falls, SD 57103)
- June 22-23: SDSU Extension Mitchell Regional Center (1800 E. Spruce St., Mitchell, SD 57301)
This workshop will help participants meet the Professional Standard requirements for school nutrition professionals, in addition to offering CEU’s.
Schools and/or agencies enrolled in SD Team Nutrition may receive up to $90 per person to cover travel expenses (registration, hotel, mileage, and per diem at the South Dakota state rates). Reimbursement limited to 2 persons per school/agency, and to the first 160 registrations. Reimbursement provided after the end of the workshop and may take up to 3 weeks.
Day 1: Regulation Ready Menu Planning
Those attending this workshop are asked to bring a laptop, menu or cycle menu, labels, & recipes to participate in the hands-on activities.
- 9:30 am – Meet & Greet
- 10:00 am – Crediting Menu Items & Component Contribution Worksheet
- 11:00 am – Break
- 11:15 am – Using the Menu Planning Worksheet to Meet Menu Requirements
- 12:00 pm – Working Lunch
- 12:30 pm – Production Records & Activity
- 1:30 pm – Creative Ways to Reduce Sodium
- 3:30 pm – Calculating Calories, Saturated Fat & Sodium
- 4:30 pm – Adjourn
Day 2: Elevating Your Foodservice Program to the Next Level: Programs & Promotions
- 8:30 am – Introductions
- 8:45 am – Smart Snacking Requirements & Implementation
- 9:45 am – Getting the Most Value Out of Your Produce Dollars
- 10:45 am – Break
- 11:00 am – Discussion
- 12:00 pm – Working Lunch
- 12:30 pm – Front of House Market & Appeal
- 1:30 pm – Ideas to Increase Revenue to Your Program
- 2:30 pm – Break
- 2:45 pm – Cont. with Increasing Revenue to Your Program
- 3:30 pm – Adjourn
Select the ticket for the location and session you would like to attend. If you register for a single day, you will be asked to select which day (either Day 1: Regulation Ready Menu or Day 2: Elevating Your Food Service Program to the Next Level) on the next screen. Anyone participating in day 1 (regulation menu planning) is asked to bring a laptop, menus or cycle menus, labels and recipes.
*Class sizes at some locations are limited, so register early! We reserve the right to cancel a workshop if <10 participants register.