SDSU Extension will host Focus on Females: Heifer Development Conference on December 19th, 2017 at the SDSU Extension Mitchell Regional Center (1800 E Spruce St., Mitchell, SD 57301) from 9:30 am to 3:00 PM CST.
Focus on Females: Heifer Development Conference has been designed for beef producers, students and ag professionals interested in learning more about the best management practices associated with developing replacement heifers for cow herds in South Dakota. People of all backgrounds and levels of experience are welcome. The program will bring in experts in heifer development, reproduction and economic fields to discuss the importance of proper heifer development on the longevity and profitability of cow/calf operations.
- 9:30 am Registration
- 10:00 am Making Sense of Heifer Development & Management Strategies
- Key Note Speaker: Dr. Patsy Houghton
- Dr. Houghton is President and General Manager of Heartland Cattle Company, Professional Heifer Development and Research Center in McCook, NE. She has advanced degrees in both nutrition and reproduction, which she applies daily while managing a 5,000 head custom heifer development program. Patsy will share with us the components of a successful heifer development program necessary to place productive females into cow herds right here in South Dakota.
- Networking Lunch
- 1:00 pm Impact of Heifer Development on Reproductive Success & Longevity: Dr. George Perry
- 1:45 pm Market Outlook – Cost of development and Net Present Value of Females
- 2:15 pm Heifer Development Panel – Ask the Experts
- 3:00 pm Closing Remarks
Register online using the form below. Sponsor registration closes December 8, attendee registration is open through December 19. For more information, contact Taylor Grussing, SDSU Extension Cow/Calf Field Specialist.