SDSU Extension will hold Youth Dairy Cattle Judging Schools at a variety of locations this summer. Beginner and first time judges will gain experience and develop skills in: identifying basic cattle body parts and correct structure, taking organized notes, the proper way to deliver oral reasons, and evaluating/ranking cattle based on the Dairy Cow Unified Scorecard. More experienced judges will expand their knowledge and practice of: identifying correct dairy breed standards, dairy cattle selection through performance/pedigree evaluation, and delivering oral sets of reasons by using proper note taking techniques.
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to the start time in order to register.
- June 13, 6:30 pm at Frey View Dairy Farm, 41161 115th Street, Claremont, SD
- July 18, 6:30 pm at Plucker Guernsey Farm, 27179 463rd Avenue, Chancellor, SD
- July 19, 6:30 pm at Fieber Dairy, Inc., 135 South Bowdoin Street, Goodwin, SD
- July 20, 1:30 pm at Victory Farms, 15987 480th Avenue, Milbank, SD
- July 26, 6:30 pm at SDSU Dairy and Food Science Department, 3219 Medary Avenue, Brookings, SD
For more information about this event, please contact Tracey Erickson, SDSU Extension Dairy Field Specialist.