Quality wine grapes can be grown in South Dakota with careful attention to growing site, cultivar selection and production techniques. Following are links to selected information available from South Dakota State University and other sources that will help you in deciding whether grape growing is for you, and to grow quality fruit.
Please note: Some of these sites may mention cultivars that are not suitable for South Dakota.
Economic Feasibility of Vineyards & Wineries,
Cost Estimates for Grape Production
- Winery & Vineyard Feasibility Workbooks
Workbooks for winery and vineyard development; Cost Estimates for Grape Production in Iowa.
- Winery Business Plans & Feasibility Studies
Resources from Iowa State University Extension & Outreach.
- Vineyard Economics
Cost of production for commercial vineyards. Multiple resources.
Starting a Vineyard
- Starting a Commercial Grape Vineyard in South Dakota
Describes factors to consider in selecting a site, evaluating feasibility, and initial steps in establishing a vineyard.
- Recommended Grape Cultivars for South Dakota
The cultivars listed in this publication have been grown reliably in the state.
- Cultivar Descriptions for Cold-Hardy grapes - Iowa
Not all of the cultivars described in this publication are hardy enough for South Dakota winters; look for cultivars that can survive -25°F or colder.
- Trellis Construction
Proper construction and installation of the vineyard trellis are important components in the establishment and success of a vineyard.
- Vineyard Establishment: Part 1 - Preplant Decisions &
Part 2 - Planting and Early Care
Helpful guides from Michigan State (note that vines in South Dakota are not usually grafted).
- SD Vineyard Work Calendar
Calendar and checklist of yearly SD vineyard tasks.
- Northern Grapes Canopy Management Webinars
Scroll down the page for a variety of different talks on managing your vines for optimal quality and yield of today’s cold-hardy cultivars.
- Vine Balance
How to know how much fruit to leave on, or how much vine to prune off.
- Grapevine Pruning & Injury Assessment
Basics: Grape Anatomy and Vine Balance; Selecting Canes; and more.
Vineyard Nutrient Management in Northern Climates
- Soil Sampling for South Dakota Vineyards
Prospective vineyard sites should be tested before a decision is made to plant grapes.
- Vineyard Nutrition
Scroll down to March 12, 2013 for Webinar and handouts on soil and vine sampling and fertilizer application.
- Grape Petiole Sampling
Petioles are the tissue recommended for determining the nutritional status of grapevines.
- Grape Phylloxera
Why this dreaded insect is not as destructive on our northern varieties.
- Herbicide Damage to Grapes
Links to a wide range of Herbicide drift resources.
- South Dakota Pesticide Complaint Information
Information on reporting a pesticide drift incident.
- South Dakota Sensitive Crop Registry
Use this tool to inform pesticide applicators about your vineyard’s location.
- Midwest Commercial Small Fruit & Grape Spray Guide
Current recommendations for insecticides, fungicides, and herbicides, with related topics.
- Vineyard Pest Scouting Pocket Guide
A must-have! Updated 2011.
- Grape Insect Pests
Discusses Phylloxera, Japanese beetles, Asian Lady Beetles, Moths, and more.
- Cold Injury in Grapevines
Guide for assessing winter injury of trunks and buds.
South Dakota Winery Law
- Chapter 35-12: Farm Wineries
Complete S.D. winery law as defined by the South Dakota Legislature.
Other Useful Websites
- Northern Grapes Project
Multi-state research and extension project highlighting ongoing research; check out the “Webinars” page.
- Nebraska - Viticulture Research & Extension
Current events, basic information, presentations from conferences, and much more!
- Minnesota: Growing Grapes for Home Use
Although designed for the home grower, contains useful information, including grape characteristics and plant establishment.
- Northwest U.S. Grape Production
Website for growers in the Pacific Northwest.
- Cornell University, NY - Grape Production
Extension educators transfer research-based innovations and technologies that benefit wine makers and grape growers.
- Viticulture Education Videos at VESTA
Enjoy these samples of VESTA's free educational videos.
- South Dakota Specialty Producers Association
The nonprofit South Dakota Specialty Producers Association comprises a diverse, geographically dispersed group of specialty producers in the state.