Written by Carrie Johnson (former SDSU Extension Family Resource Management Specialist).
The interest you pay on debt can become very expensive. Control your personal debt and accomplish your financial goals. Know which debt to pay down first. Calculators can be used to compare mortgages, home equity and auto loan costs, perfect your budget, and pay down debt.
- PowerPay (Utah State University): Power Pay will give you the tools to develop a personalized, self-directed debt elimination plan. Discover how quickly you can become debt free, and how much you can save in interest costs by following your debt reduction plan. Utah State University Extension is pleased to provide this debt management tool without any cost to consumers worldwide.
- Pay down debt or invest (VISA): Determine whether you should use surplus cash for investment purposes or pay down your debt.
- How Long Will it Take to Pay Off My Credit Card? (Smart About Money): Americans today owe more money than ever before. The fact that 'interest never sleeps' means that the situation will continue to worsen unless steps are taken at the individual level to reduce or eliminate debt. Additional monthly payments can make a difference to accelerate the payoff and save you hundreds interest payments. Use this calculator to figure out when you can pay off your credit card.
- Credit Card Calculator (Bankrate): This calculator will help you calculate if you should consider a credit card balance transfer. It will calculate when the debt will be paid off.
- Should I Consolidate My Debt (VISA): Is this the right time to consolidate your debt? This calculator can help you decide. See what your monthly payment would be with or without a consolidation loan and how many months it will take to become debt free.