Information courtesy of the Social Security Administration. Shared on iGrow by Carrie Johnson (former SDSU Extension Family Resource Management Specialist).
For more than 80 years, Social Security has helped secure today and tomorrow with information, tools and resources to meet our customers’ changing needs and lifestyles.
April 4 – 13, 2016 is National my Social Security Week. With the groups and organizations, Social Security will host numerous events and activities across the country to raise awareness about the benefits of opening a secure online my Social Security account.
my Social Security: Online Account
The convenience and safety of doing business online with Social Security is another way we’re meeting the changing needs and lifestyles of our customers.
With a my Social Security account, you can:
- Keep track of your earnings and verify them every year;
- Get an estimate of your future benefits, if you are still working;
- Get a letter with proof of your benefits, if you currently receive them;
- Manage your benefits;
- Change your address;
- Start or change your direct deposit;
- Get a replacement Medicare card; and
- Get a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for tax season.
Replace your social security card online!
In some states, you can replace your Social Security card online using my Social Security. Currently available in the District of Columbia, Michigan, Nebraska, Washington, and Wisconsin, it’s an easy, convenient, and secure way to request a replacement card online.
To take advantage of this new service option, you must:
- Have or create a my Social Security account;
- Have a valid driver’s license in a participating state or the District of Columbia (or a state-issued identification card in some states);
- Be age 18 or older and a United States citizen with a domestic U.S. mailing address (this includes APO, FPO, and DPO addresses); and
- Not be requesting a name change or any other changes to your card.
We plan to add more states, so we encourage you to check with us later in the year.
Check Your Statement Day: April 7
During my Social Security Week, we will hold “Check Your Statement Day” on April 7, and you can join the millions who regularly check their Social Security Statement. It’s important that you check this document every year because we base your future benefits on your recorded earnings. Your Statement can help you plan for your financial future. We encourage you to go online to my Social Security to access your Statement whenever you have a change of employment or wish to verify any changes in your benefit estimate.
Week after week, we provide you with world-class customer service, much of which is online. During my Social Security Week, you can join the more than 23 million people who have opened their own my Social Security account.
Open your account today!
Help secure your today and tomorrow. Open a my Social Security account today by visiting the my Social Security website.