Image courtesy of Pixabay.
Meat provides protein and other essential nutrients to our diets, however, if not handled and prepared properly, it can also carry pathogens. Within this article are links to information about methods of preparing meat, handling meat safely, various cuts of meat, and other meat science topics. Select iGrow articles will be added to as relevant topics are written. Feel free to contact an Extension Food Safety Specialist or the Extension Meat Scientist for more information about meat safety and quality or to discuss a topic you are curious about that is not found in these articles. At the bottom of this article you can find links to the iGrow livestock communities that provide information about the care of animals on farms and resources for livestock caretakers.
Select iGrow Articles
- Getting Ready for Grilling Season: This article provides tips for cleaning and tuning up the grill before the grilling season begins.
- Grilling a great steak: This article provides tips on getting the results you want for your grilled meat.
- Preparing a safe dinner for your family: This article provides tips on safe meat handling and cooking techniques to get safe and tasty results.
- Crock Pots are NOT for Reheating Foods: This article provides a brief explanation of why crock pots are unsuitable for reheating leftover foods.
- How to Grill Amazing Beef Tri-Tip: This article provides tips about seasoning, grilling, and slicking methods of a beef tri-tip, including a suggestion of grilled garlic toast.
- Practice Safe Food Handling: This article provides a reminder about the various internal temperatures meat products should be cooked to and other meat preparation tips.
- Beef’s Saving Value: This article provides tips on finding bargains and diversity at the meat counter. It also includes a recipe for grilled beef tri-tip with tropical fruit salsa.
- New Beef Cuts Offer a Great Value and Eating Experience: This article introduces three value cuts of beef that people may be less familiar with and shares the best method of cooking them.
- Grilling Tips: Don’t Ruin Your Ribeye!: This article blasts some myths about grilling steaks and provides steps to achieve your preferred level of doneness while grilling.
iGrow Livestock Communities
To learn more about animal care practices farmers and ranchers are using to raise your food, check out the iGrow Livestock Communities.