Photo Courtesy: Midwest Dairy Association
Written by Whitney Jerman (Midwest Dairy Council ) under the direction and review of Ann Schwader.
June is Dairy Month!
June is Dairy Month which means there’s no better time to celebrate dairy farmers and the delicious dairy products they bring from the farm to your refrigerator. Thanks to their hard work, you’re able to unleash the power of dairy nutrition.
If you’re trying to boost the nutrition of your meals and snacks, look no further than your refrigerator. Dairy products provide a powerful nutrition package that can help you meet your nutrient needs and achieve better health. So, whether you are trying to reduce disease risk, age well or fuel an active lifestyle, you can count on the power of dairy products to maximize nutrition.
Research conducted by Midwest Dairy Association uncovered some interesting misconceptions when it comes to dairy nutrition knowledge. Findings showed only one-third of consumers understand milk to be one of the best sources of protein and other nutrients. Additionally, less than one-third of consumers understand the nutritional difference between milk and milk alternatives such as soy, almond or rice beverage.
Here is what you need to know:
- With nine essential nutrients, milk, cheese and yogurt deliver a unique nutrition package superior to milk alternatives, which are often fortified and/or fall short on these important nutrients.
- Milk is a natural clean food with only three ingredients listed on the label, whereas milk alternatives can have 10 or more ingredients.
Unleash the Power of Dairy!
As a registered dietitian, I not only appreciate the unique nutrient package that dairy delivers—but also its flexibility which allows you to make simple substitutions in meals and snacks to help boost nutrition and get your three servings of dairy every day.
Try these tips to unleash the power of dairy nutrition:
- Substitute flavored yogurt for syrup on pancakes and waffles. Try our Berry Yogurt Parfait Pancakes.
- Prepare oatmeal and other cooked cereals with milk instead of water.
- Use plain Greek yogurt as a base for homemade dressings or dips. Try our Salad on a Stick.
- Create creamy, delicious, soups with milk.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of your favorite casseroles and pasta dishes, or use it to jazz up vegetables or scrambled eggs.
- Use milk in hot chocolate or coffee. Try our Vanilla Mochaccino.
Dairy Month Events
If you are looking to learn more about dairy farming in South Dakota, be sure to check out these June Dairy Month Events.