Family Resource Management highlights a comprehensive array of programs that are offered to South Dakotans across the state.
Public Value Statement:
- Increase financial capability and consumer decision-making.
- Family and personal finance programs promote financial literacy and capability which results in less economic strain on households, more financial resiliency, less risk of poverty spanning generations, and better overall individual and family financial outcomes.
- South Dakotan’s, constituents, and national colleagues recognize SDSU Extension as a leading resource for personal and family finance information.
Short-term outcomes (0-12 months):
- Increase financial literacy in the areas of earning, saving and investing, borrowing, spending, and protecting for both youth and adults.
- Adults and youth will adopt at least one positive consumer behavior skill.
Medium-term outcomes (1-3 years):
- Individuals will identify and evaluate the relationship between insurance and unpaid medical bills (adult).
- Individual will recognize the benefits and caveats of taking out student loans (youth and adult).
- Individuals will save for long-term goals, such as retirement (adult).
Long-term outcomes (3-5 years):
- Student loan indebtedness and default rates will decrease in South Dakota (adult).
- The number of adult South Dakotans reporting unpaid medical bills will decrease.
- South Dakota personal and family finance related policies for youth and adults are established using Extension expertise.