SDSU Extension has developed the Feed Cost Comparison to help evaluate the relative costs of two different feedstuffs. This interactive tool will run through the iGrow Livestock Decision Aid webpage on your mobile or desktop device.
- Select Feedstuff #1. Click on the Preset drop-down and select your first desired feedstuff. This will populate the cells with preset feed composition values (Figure 1).
- Select Feedstuff #2. Click on the Preset drop-down and select your second desired feedstuff. This will populate the cells with preset feed composition values.
- Enter the Cost of Feed for both feedstuffs ($ / unit).
- Enter the feedstuff Size of Unit on a pound basis (e.g. 2,000 lbs – 1 Ton).
- If there will be shipping costs involved, enter the Trucking Cost per Mile and Number of Miles charged.
- Enter the total Tons per Load shipped.
- Enter the Dry Matter (DM) percentages for both feedstuffs. The dry matter percentage is critical to accurately evaluate high-moisture feeds vs. dry grains or forages.
- Enter the Feed Nutrition Analysis for each feed as labelled in following rows or use preset values.
- Crude Protein, TDN: Enter on a percentage DM basis.
- Net Energy Values (NEm, NEg or NEl): Enter as Mcal/pound (DM basis).
- Once all values are entered, click the Calculate button to display your Feed Cost Results.